Ho Ho Ho
Here Comes SantaCon! Santas invade the streets of Scranton this weekend!
You better watch out. You better not cry. Better not pout. I’m telling you why. There are many Santa Clauses coming to the Electric City on Saturday, Dec. 1 as Scranton’s first SantaCon Pub crawl hits the festive downtown streets. This year’s event is titled the “Santa Claws Pub Crawl” with a portion of the proceeds going directly to the Griffin Pond Animal Shelter.
SantaCons are known worldwide as a gathering of people dressed in Santa Claus costumes parading on city streets and visiting bars. The focus of SantaCon is on the costumes and the spontaneity of the gathering, as well as spreading cheer and having a jolly ol’ time. SantaCon incorporates elements of a flash mob, the occasional singing of naughty Christmas carols (you’ll find a Naughty Christmas Carol Book for free at SantaCon.info), and the giving of small gifts to strangers. Scranton’s SantaCon wants you to dress up in your best Santa inspired attire, but it’s not just Saint Nick getting in on all of the holiday cheer. Organizers recommend participants get creative with their holiday apparel. That means that elves, snowmen, Heat Misers, nutcrackers and reindeer are all welcome to join in the pub crawl which is scheduled to hit three popular Downtown Scranton bars; The Backyard Alehouse, The Bog and Whiskey Dick’s. Participants are free to travel to any and all the participating bars from 3 to 7 p.m. as each bar will feature drink specials, prize raffles and many more surprises. There will be live entertainment provided by Bryant August, John Phillips, The Invisible Swordsmen and Jason Hoffman from UUU.
Donation jars and barrels will be set up at each location. The goal of this event is to raise money for Griffin Pond Animal Shelter and have a sleigh full of fun in the process. The animal shelter is not only in need of monetary donations, but they could also use items such as paper towels, cat litter, canned cat food, animal bedding, rabbit and guinea pig food, kitten food, dry cat food, large chew bones to occupy dogs, cat toys, garbage bags, cloth towels/blankets/sheets, bleach and more.
’Tis the season to be jolly, so slap on that red suit, buckle your belt and slip on your drinking boots. And remember to be safe as your dashing through the snow and spreading the Christmas spirit.
For more information on SantaCon, visit www.santacon.info/Scranton-PA/.
— tom graham
If you go…
What: Santa Claws Pub Crawl, Scranton’s first SantaCon, to benefit Griffin Pond Animal Shelter
When: Saturday, Dec. 1
Where: Downtown Scranton Pubs: The Backyard Alehouse, The Bog and Whiskey Dick’s.
Some suggested SantaCon Guidelines
- You must address everyone as “Santa.”
- You ought to give out gifts like Santa.
- You should “ho-ho-ho” like Santa.
- Santa does not make children cry. Really, if you see kids, don’t do anything to freak them out. Give them a nice smile and possibly a gift of some kind (toys, candy etc…).
- Santa dresses for all occasions. It’s December. Smart Santas wear multiple costume layers.
- Bring gifts: Naughty gifts to give grown-ups; Nice stuff to give kids.
- Watching Santa get drunk and rowdy is fun. Babysitting Santa while he vomits in an alley is not. Don’t be that Santa.
- Make sure you always pay for your beer and tip the bar staff. Cash is a good idea, as 40 Santas with separate credit card tabs may be a pain in the rump for your bartenders.
- Dress up and be creative.
- Santa doesn’t drink and drive and neither should you. If you’re going to drink you must make sure that you can get safely home without driving yourself.